Thursday, November 24, 2005

Surprises!

I never could fool my mother! When I was five, I was visiting a friend's house. Their mom offered me some cookies and milk, and not wanting to be rude, I accepted. When I got home, my mom asked me if I had eaten some cookies. You see, we had a rule in our house....no snacks between meals and my mom was pretty strict about making sure that there was always room for a healthy meal. So, I did what any five year old would do. I lied. And to my surprise, I ended up in the corner. No, it wasn't the two eyes behind my mother's head that gave me away...instead, it was the cookie crumbs that were stuck to the corner of my mouth.

I still can't keep anything from my mom. I have spent the last ten months planning a surprise 50th anniversary party for her and my dad. SOMEONE spilled the beans! But even if they had not, I am pretty sure that she would have already figured it out anyway. There are any number of things that have happened in the course of the last ten months that could have given it away. In the end, it certainly wouldn't be those proverbial eyes behind her head. Instead, the case of the missing key would have most likely tipped her off.

You see, a friend and I wanted to get a nice picture to put into a frame that she had purchased for this special event. So one day about a month or so ago, we snuck into the house while they were gone and snapped a few digital pictures of what we wanted. We very carefully put everything back in its place and left. As luck would have it, the picture that we really liked was oriented incorrectly. Once again, we secertly entered the house to take more photos.

It was a very cold and rainy evening when I got the frantic call from my father. Dressed in only a tee shirt, he had taken the dog outside and somehow had gotten locked out of the house. When he went to get the key....it was missing. I started to think about both times that I went into the house and distinctly remember putting the key away the first time, but don't really remember what I did with it the second time...my guess is that I didn't put it back. I hope that my Dad can find a way to forgive me when he finds out....poor Dad, I always seem to get a chuckle at his expense!

Somethings never change....I am my own worst enemy when it comes to trying to keep something from my Mom..... maybe one day I will learn my lesson....and then again...maybe NOT.

No comments: