Friday, October 14, 2005

Smiling Faces?


January 4, 1975...there is a wedding...ours. We are young, 18 and 19 years old. The final picture in our wedding album is a picture from the car. In it, I am smiling...my husband has this look on his face that says..."What the hell did I just do?"

Fast Forward 30 years. My husband is now 50, I am soon to be 49. We have been blessed with two lovely daughters and four grandchildren.

While the faces have aged over the last thirty years, I can't help but to notice something....you can see it in this picture. There I am with the biggest smile you could see...and there he is... with a face that looks as if he would rather be anywhere else but here.

Can anyone tell me.... "What's up with that?"

Has both our tenuous beginnings and our life together been such a burden? Does he really just hate cameras that bad? I can't say I love cameras that much...but how can you not smile when you are in the midst of such a beautiful family?

Sometimes I feel a million miles away from him and I wonder if that is the way it began and if that is the way it will always be.

1 comment:

Old Garden Woman said...

Perhaps one is not miles away, but pondering a treasure he now holds for life, wondering if he can live up to either's expectations. Fear and love share borders, intense in their passions. The present picture may reflect his own sorrows and failures - pain too shares borders with love, also tense in passion. The miles of love, so unifying and so dividing.